Sunday, August 10, 2008

Strength come in numbers....


Curt and I have always been firm believers in "God never gives you more than you can handle."  This has been tested many times during our relationship. I would truly have to say that the day that each of my children were born was the best day of my life...with my wedding following a very close second. We have always looked at our children as a blessing in our life(even though at times it may be disguised well.) We have seen Wil through many of triumphs they said he may never reach, and have cried over many of things that have arisen with him.  This last diagnosis is one of those. I feel that I am a STRONG person,mother,wife,etc... I also feel that God, Curt and I as a team have climbed over mountains that are by far amazing to get over. I being a stay at home mom have had the pleasure of watching my children grow. We have supported them in any way we could.  Both of my boys were diagnosed early with their hearing loss, and were aided by 4 months of age. We have seen them through sooner-start, many of therapies, tons of school hours, and many of doctor appt. We as parents spend more hours with our child than any professional. Therefore it is with my whole heart that I say. Some professionals know what they are doing, and some haven't a clue.  Some have the best interest of the child in mind, and some don't. Some talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. Some open their mouth before thinking about what they are truly saying. This is not an attack on professionals all together, just some. I can ultimately say that we have been blessed with some of they most brilliant people in their field with my children.  Especially Wil! Without all of his amazing therapist,doctors,nurses,friends, and family. I'm for sure he would not be where he is today. Our feelings have not changed at all throughout Wil's life.We as his parents are his strongest advocate. We will always fight for what we believe will benefit him the most. We spend almost 24/7 with him, and no-one can explain him or teach him more than we can. No matter what your training, how many seminars you have been to, or where you work. We will always take or leave your RECOMMENDATIONS at the door,depending on how we as parents feel about them.  We all need positives in our lives, and we as  parents of a disabled child need those a bit more than others. If you have a OPINION about how we handle things for our children, It's just that an OPINION. As a professional feel free to tell us, and as one of his parents I will trust my gut instinct till the end! That means no matter who,what, when, where, why, or how.

No comments: