Monday, August 11, 2008

I'm lovin' it!


I have come along many interesting people in my life. Some have made a major impact on the person I am today. As August has approached, I am always thrilled by my dad's birthday. That was until 2 years ago when his mom(my grandma) passed away on that very day.  We had until that time always made huge deals out of any family members birthday. Now we do a little quaint get together, and usually not on his exact birthday. It's a hard day for him as well as the rest of the family. I tell you this just to give you a little background. I always though I knew my grandma growing up, but I don't  think I truly  did. After her passing, there were amazing things I found out about her. Some going through the over 20 years of clutter in her house, and some by important people in her life. I was always close with my cousins, but we could of been closer as an extended family, and less petty. On to my grandma...She was truly amazing. She was almost like 2 people. She had done more,seen more, lived more, than any other person I knew. I only got to see one side of her. She never told us of the magnificent love her and my grandpa shared(we found love letters they had written to each other.) She never told of of the wonderful friends she had, by the time I was a teen she pretty much just kept to herself, and she was generous beyond words. I always knew she was at christmas.  We ALL got an amazing gift bag each year filled with our favorite things.  Godiva chocolates,gift cards,your favorite snack, a piece of jewelry, and always a little bit of grandmas personal touch!(I really do miss those!)No-one was ever left out no matter if you had been in the family a day,a year, or 10 years.  She was generous in tons of ways. She use to make food randomly for the people she worked for. She do almost anything for anyone. She was in a much different place in her life by the time I knew her.  I look back on her life and am in awe of what a GOOD person she truly was under all of her thick skin! She never boasted or bragged,she never was more than just who she was. That means a lot to me these days. I guess now that I'm 30 I can look at those qualities and be amazed. I just didn't se them when I was younger. If I am a quarter of the person she truly was, then I can consider myself blessed.  Plus now I know were all my dad's great qualities come from...I always wondered that.

No comments: